Events are things that happen in قلخلا دامر as the result of development in the world. They can take the form of quests, pop-up triggered quests or other story lines that happen throughout the world. Events are public quests that are scaled to fit local, regional, and global needs.
- Events that are taken care of successfully have positive consequences.
- Events that reach a fail condition have negative consequences, such as natural disasters.
- There may be one-off events.
- If events don't occur within a certain time period, they could occur randomly.
Events are where you’ll find your public quests, though these will be scaled to fit local, regional, and global needs. They’ll also have consequences locally, regionally, and globally, for good (if they’re taken care of successfully) or for ill (if a fail condition is reached).
Events... can be local, regional or global, and consist of boons or banes. They’re triggered based on a lot of different variables, and some may be one-off Events that occur once, and never again. If an Event is handled successfully, then something good happens to the local, regional, or global area. If it fails, then something bad befalls the local, regional or global area. They’ll relate to the overall Narrative, but don’t fall into its overall structure (for the most part). These are the things that will be written into history, and we imagine that as time grows, each server’s history will diverge more and more.
- Populations will change.
- Content difficulty will change.
- The content may be different altogether, depending on what is developed and how.
- Different types of antagonists with different story lines.
- Some dungeons will only be unlocked if nodes are developed to certain stages.
- Storyline objectives for players inside dungeons will depend on the story arc paths chosen through the node system.
- Drop tables in areas and dungeons will be tied into the progression of certain areas.
Certain dungeons and other points of interest across the map will all be affected by the server’s node development. Some dungeons will only be unlocked if nodes are developed to certain stages. The storyline objectives for players inside dungeons will also be dependent on the story arc paths chosen through the node system. The drop tables in area and dungeons will also be tied into the progression of certain areas. For example, let’s say that the humans have developed a node in Region A, and a storyline has opened up that leads players to inspect the ruins (dungeon) of a nearby area. And let’s say that this node was developed in a scientific (crafting) zone… Well before the node developed, this dungeon was accessible… But now the dungeon has propagated new monster assets that include a drop table catering to a crafting emphasis because of the development of that scientific node. And perhaps, a new boss appears in different rooms of the dungeon that includes different adventure quest starts, like a mysterious item with a storyline that can only be progressed if a node develops to the metropolis stage in a certain region, across the world. Our system is so vast, when it comes to interconnectivity and how the world reacts to the players.
Seasonal events (holidays) in قلخلا دامر are not a direct parallel with real world events. Instead, there will be in-game lore behind seasonal events that can relate to the real-world in some way.
For example, this upcoming cosmetic bundle that's going to be available during the time of Halloween won't necessarily be pumpkins and candy corn type of cosmetics, but instead will be a bit darker. That way it can still be relevant to real world. And then additionally it may be possible as we localize and culturalize for other territories that we have the same philosophy with region-specific events. – Steven Sharif
- A winter dragon may appear because a node has developed to stage 4. That dragon may bring eternal winter until it is killed.
- راصحلا هعلق.
- ةدقعلا راصحلا.
- Legendary world boss spawns.
- Monster coin events.
- Dungeon opportunities.
Whether it be like a siege or a triggered event against a city or like a unique dungeon opportunity... those types of things are going to involve notifications. Especially to the citizens of the city; where you'll be informed of an impending event. Basically it will give you time. – Steven Sharif
Sometimes the disturbed beings could take the form of packs of dire wolves, hordes of zombies roused from their graveyard, or even, rarely, an epic-tier dragon flying out of a volcano once a node reaches its maximum level. In any case, the disturbed monsters have to tackle a series of destructive objectives, which can either be handled by the the AI or, more interestingly, by a player. The player in turn would attempt to complete all those actions much as in a multi-objective quest, hopefully before other players brought him or her down.
- They are structured in a way to prevent groups from gaming the system.
- Monster coin events are triggered by activity in the world, such as node advancement, defeating a boss or constructing certain types of buildings within a node.
- Server messages appear for players in the vicinity of these dynamic events.
- Drop tables are disabled for player controlled monsters.
Monster coin progression
In Ashes of Creation a large portion of world events revolve around the environment reacting to the player. This means that as players are exploring the world and developing civilization around them the environment is responding to this encroachment by spawning dynamic events and creatures to attack those developing cities. These events occur in 3 different types: the Legion level the Elite level and the Epic level.
- The tier of the monster coin dictates how powerful the monster is.
- A castle's region is 1/5th the game world.
- Castle regions, Economic regions, and Node ZOI (Zones of Influence) can overlap.
- Castle region boundaries are static.
- In addition to taxes, Castles also influence crop yields, resources and events within its region.
- Part of the tax and resources gathered are applied to the castle for improvements.
- The remainder of tax income can be used by the guild for whatever they want.
- When castles change hands (following a siege), some taxes stay with the castle and some stay with the guild.
GM run events
Player driven narrative
The world of Verra will be the same on each server, but دقعلا will develop differently. Different servers will have different narratives. Things that happen on one server may not happen on another.
We want as many people as possible to experience the main server Narrative. These will branch at different scales, but largely at the personal level. Where things change is at the Node level – different parts of the story will be unlocked based on where and when Nodes grow. Unlocking a part of the story in a certain way locks out progression of the story in a different way. You’ll see different antagonists, different NPCs, and different calls to action depending on what’s happening with the server at that time.
It kind of redefines what the players will experience in an MMORPG to come into a wilderness that is devoid of really any structure outside of what the community creates themselves; and then what can be created can be changed, if they want to experience a storyline that's been seen on another server, but you know you're fighting a dragon because you're near a mountain and the other server's fighting a Kraken because they're near the coast and you want to fight that Kraken because of its drop table. If you want to meta it or because you just want that under your belt: to be the server first to take out that Kraken and you have yet to develop the node there, you know it's incumbent upon you to manifest that in the game. – Steven Sharif
We're gonna keep track of the history of the world so that we can tell people the story up to the current day. A player who's brand new, who's come in at the six-month mark can take a look at each server, what each server has done, how each server has tackled the storyline; and they can decide for themselves what community they want to join; what version of the world that they want to take part in. – Jeffrey Bard
- تاريخ الصفحة of narrative events and when they occurred.
- Locations and last known quantity of gatherable resources.
- Locations and inhabitants of new dungeons or POIs (points of Interest) that have spawned.
- Runic power stones for armor.
- Common armor and weapon recipes (level 25 and under).
There are absolutely legendary items and they're not items that are attained easily nor are they granted out in a volume. There might even be items that are single items that will exist on the server at any given time.
It will be a very ornate and detailed weapon, more so than any other weapon or piece of equipment in the game. It will also include some awesome looking effects that won't too gaudy, you know they won't be too bright and shiny so that it doesn't look good, but they will be subtle and people will notice it and know wow that guy has this weapon. – Steven Sharif
The amount of effort needed and interdependencies across the different types of players – between raiders and PvPers and crafters and even role players and the taverns and businesses: the processors and gatherers – all of those systems will likely have a component that lends toward creating or crafting that legendary item... We want to stay away from the highly RNGd system, and instead take our multiple progression paths that we are offering the players and put the construction components for achieving these legendary items within them so it encourages communities to work together because it's going to be difficult for just one person by themselves to gather everything. Not to say that they couldn't in an economic sense, by buying those components, that's possible. But achieving them from a time investment standpoint we want it to be considerably less RNG focussed. – Steven Sharif
Legendary items are not intended to be temporary.
The fact there is only one of them... or very very few of them depending on what it is. I think that in and of itself is a balance component right and you need to make sure that the players who are striving for those legendary things and who are devoting the time energy, resources in order to achieve them are accurately rewarded... We do not intend on having legendary items that are temporary. – Steven Sharif
- Crop rotations.
- كاشكألا بعال (Kiosks).
- Mayoral duties.
- Pay taxes.
- Fishing (potentially).
- نولاص باعلأ (Tavern games).
- World event notifications.
- Node citizenship notifications.
- Player housing notifications.
Some of it may come post-launch... but we do want people to interact with the game on their phones when they're away from the computer; and we're going to do as much as we can to make that cool. – Jeffrey Bard
- Livestream, 3 May 2017 (46:18).
- MMOGames interview, January 2017
- Livestream, 30 January 2020 (1:32:12).
- Interview: Ashes of Creation on Building Their Virtual World, 13 April 2017.
- Livestream, 5 May 2017 (40:36).
- Livestream, 27 September 2018 (43:21).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (36:22).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (18:29).
- Interview, 20 October 2018 (7:31).
- Livestream, 8 May 2017 (20:27).
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (48:14).
- Interview, 17 August 2018 (24:48).
- Video, 25 May 2017 (0:02).
- IGN: Ashes of Creation first look: An MMO that lets you be the boss.
- Livestream, 26 May 2017 (22:19).
- Livestream, 3 May 2017 (36:25).
- Livestream, 3 May 2017 (35:25).
- Livestream, 3 May 2017 (31:46).
- Blog: 10 facts about castle sieges in the MMORPG.
- Livestream, 4 June 2018 (22:27).
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (37:03).
- Livestream, 22 May 2017 (28:02).
- Interview, 20 April 2018 (9:20).
- Blog: Know Your Nodes - Scientific Node Type
- Livestream, 19 May 2017 (44:18).
- Livestream, 15 May 2017 (38:08).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (55:49).
- Livestream, 9 July 2018 (25:34).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (51:49).
- Livestream, 18 January 2018 (30:18).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (11:00).
- Livestream, 4 May 2018 (54:09).
- Livestream, 9 May 2017 (28:57).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (9:49).
- Livestream, 17 November 2017 (11:53).