- The developers are considering the inclusion of dodging in a subset of universal skills that apply to all classes.
- Dodging will not use I-frames (invincibility frames), but it may affect accuracy and mitigation stats when used.
- So you see an animation windup that's a telegraph on what's coming; and then you have response actions that you can take as a result of that in order to dodge, weave, move, do whatever. It is both a combination of what your rotation is but also how you have reaction abilities ready to go that you save for certain circumstances that are important. – Steven Sharif
- The revamped combat system features split-body animations, where the character's upper body can be locked by weapon attack animations while the lower body is free to continue moving.
- A lot of abilities you have the capability of moving while casting. It's going to decrease your movement speed significantly or depending on the type of ability. We do reserve the cost- and that's really what it is when you tie ability usage to mobility- we do reserve the cost of requiring the character to remain stationary on some big effect type abilities. – Steven Sharif
- Most abilities in Ashes of Creation are capable of being cast while moving. Some abilities may slow the caster down during the cast, but only rarely will the player be rooted in place.
- Most abilities you'll find in Ashes of Creation are capable of being cast while moving. Some of those abilities might slow your movement during the cast, but you can continue to move. Very rarely, and depending on obviously the importance of the ability or the power level of that ability, you might be rooted in place. So, for example, the AoE ability [Chains of Restraint] has a lot going on. It has damage ticking over time, it is an area of effect, it also has a status condition application; and in those instances the player character gets rooted. – Steven Sharif
- Unreal Engine 5 has enabled improved forms of locomotion, such as crouching, tilting and mantling.
- There's a balance in the game design between your movement speed on attack and the movement speed of your opponent. When you have a game that is both PvE centric as well as PvP centric, you have to make sure that combat is blended for both approaches; and we can always run into problems where, if you're significantly hampered in your movement speed, that has an effect on how we expect player versus player engagements to interact; and we don't want to restrict a player's ability to be mobile if they're the target of an attack. And as a result of that we need to make sure that we don't restrict the movement abilities of the player who is doing the attacking as well. So we want it to be relatively free for you to stay with each other. Your opponents move around the battlefield together and if we're hampering you on the attack action, we have to then implement some type of snare, or slow, or cc effect essentially on your opposing target; and that's not the approach we want to take for for PvP. – Steven Sharif
- Q: If a ranger is super mobile, what are the melee's options in order to catch them?
- A: Different class kits will provide different gap closers. They'll provide different mobility skills. They'll have lockdowns. They'll have chains to pull back. They'll have a lot of different things in the rotation. That's part of what an MMORPG experience is. You're not just restricted to three or six skills, you have a rotational suite; and depending on the type of challenges you face is going to help determine which of those rotations you spec into from your skill tree. – Steven Sharif
|Skill||Icon||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3|
|Air Strike||Leap a great distance forward and into the air while firing three projectiles in a line along the path, each dealing area damage and inflicting snare to targets hit. Enemies already snared will become briefly rooted. The root effect is nature based.|
|Blink||Instantly teleport a set distance in the direction you are moving.||-||-|
|Caravan Speed Boost||Gives the caravan a temporary speed boost.||-||-|
|Caravan Trail Speed Bonus||Minor speed boost for travelling on a simple trail.||-||-|
|Rush||Rush toward a target; and upon reaching the target, deal an amount damage with a chance to knock the target down.||-||-|
|Wings of Salvation||Sprout phoenix-like wings and leap to target ally, then grant a small amount of temporary health to that target on arrival. An ally is defined as any non-combatant player or non-mob NPC.|
- Sprinting will consume a percentage of a character's mana pool. Sprinting will not be permitted while in combat.
- I've instructed design to incorporate a mana consumption that's percentage based for sprinting. So it'll be a similar amount of time that each class, regardless of their mana values, will have in order to sprint and it will not be accessible while in a combat. – Steven Sharif
- There is a toggleable walk/run (autorun) capability.
- There is not going to be any "go to waypoint" (auto-pathing) mechanics.
- Inertia and momentum physics will help prevent blocking doorways/access points. This is based on a character's direction and movement speed, and can be used to push people out of the way.
- دعاصتي and players cannot stop caravans and other vehicles from moving. Nothing can move or block ships.
- We really wanted to build the combat system to- like i said earlier- be as physical as possible. So we have it very animation driven. Everything is handled based on a reference of animation as opposed to nebulous timings, which allows it to feel very impactful and very responsive. – Keenan Reimer
- We're not going to be having I think unique combat animations. However we will have unique non-combat animations, such as your idle, your walk, your run cycle: things that the combat attacks do not have to blend back into. – Steven Sharif
- Active blocking is present in Alpha-2. At present the developers are using a universal stamina-based energy system, but they will be testing the use of separate energy mechanics for universal skills in Alpha-2.
- Active blocking might be an ability that- it's universal, of course it's universal- but it might be consuming mana; and you'll be able to adjust that mana consumption based off of your passive spec into your skill trees. In addition, it might also consume stamina, where that's something we're going to be testing as part of Alpha-2. – Steven Sharif
- Shields are better for active blocking, but any melee weapon can also be used to parry with a lesser amount of mitigation.
- Q: How are you designing encounters around active blocking? Will it be situational use, or would I expect to be laying on my block keybind for most of the fight to prevent getting deleted by bosses?
- A: It depends really on the type of adversary you're facing. Some of them are going to have indicators or tells that a big attack is coming. It's an animation wind up where you'll have an opportunity to use active block in very unique situations that are based on timing and additional mitigation for those incoming one-off attacks. In other occasions you'll be able to use it off of rotational cooldowns, or if you're waiting for a particular ability or you're during the use of your Aegis. There's different situations for when active block is a relevant use-case. – Steven Sharif
- Some abilities may be able to overcome, surpass, or cancel active blocking.
- If a player is in a state, such as an active block, or an active tumble state, there will likely be some types of abilities that interact with reacting to those types of states and will either overcome surpass or cancel out those states, particularly as it relates to not just active blocking, but also potentially passive blocking as well; and that would be something probably related to physical penetration values as a stat, or even CC breaks that could be relevant as well for those types of things. I think that's on the radar for the combat team. – Steven Sharif
- Previously the developers had not finalized designs for active blocking and were leaning toward using more traditional buff-oriented universal damage mitigation for the MMO, and were also considering interaction between action-based blocking and a passive block stat.
- The goal is to give more agency to the player and achieve a more fluid flow of combat with greater mobility when using abilities.
- The current hybrid tab and action combat system will remain after the revamp.
- This revamp will not represent the final form of combat, but will set the general direction that combat will be taking.
- The revamp will be iterative and will be rolled out to testers in different phases.
- The developers will be testing whether or not to use global cooldowns GCDs on different types of abilities during Alpha-2.
- You'll be able to move forward while swinging your weapon; and this will allow you complete control over your weapon attacks for melee. – Steven Sharif
Alpha-1 combat was focused on core functionality rather than combat balance. Alpha-2 combat will include archetypes, significant ability support, augments, split-body combat, weapon attacks, and many additional items, among other things.
- Changes that allow templated abilities to apply to 3D positions in the air or water will be prototyped and may be included in Alpha-2.
Hybrid combat refers to the choice between tab and action combat in Ashes of Creation. A toggle button (default Z, but can be re-bound to another key) allows the player to switch between action and tab combat modes.
- The action mode camera is tied to the to the player's reticle (crosshair).
- Targeted skills require either a soft or hard locked target.
- Soft locking is when the reticle moves over a valid target while in action mode. The targeting plate will appear slightly grayed out to indicate that this is a soft-lock target. If the reticle moves away from the target or the target moves away from the reticle, the target is lost.
- Hard locking is when the player uses right-mouse on a soft-locked target in action mode, or when the player selects a valid target in tab mode. The targeting plate will not be grayed-out to indicate that a hard-lock target is selected. Unlike soft locking, if the target moves out of the reticle, the target is not lost. Tab will still cycle between hard-locked targets in action mode based on proximity priority.
- Templated skills allow "blind firing" without a target while in action mode. If an entity moves into the path of the attack they can be struck.
- Q: Is the development team moving away from action combat, or is action combat more prevalent with the melee classes, and the healing/range classes are more tab-target other than AoE spells?
- A: We have not moved away from our hybrid approach to the development of Ashes of Creation's combat; and specifically to reiterate: that approach is incorporating elements of skill shots, fast and reactive gameplay that is situationally relevant, and incorporates the camera mode of both tab-targeting as well as action combat reticle. That's something that is still in progress. We haven't moved away from that however. To note, our approach of that hybridization is going to incorporate things like templated skill-shots, directionally relevant activated abilities, along with the ability to dodge to roll projectiles that can impact collision. Those are elements of action combat that are present. – Steven Sharif
- Skill progressions, skill point allocation is determined by the player. The player will be able to choose either more tab-target oriented skills or more action-based skills and customize their playable experience to what accommodates their preference. From a balancing standpoint for us developers, we need to make sure that certain abilities house certain functions so that there's a balance between skill shots and tab-target abilities. – Steven Sharif
- Targeted skills will be greyed out if the target is not within a valid range but templated skills will generally require the player to assess the correct range for the skill.
- Different ranks of the same skill can change the skill from tab to action or vice-versa.
- Variables will change based on which version of a skill is chosen.
- It may not be possible to be able to fully spec into just action or tab targeted skills. There might be a 75% cap on choosing skills from any one type.
- For the purposes of balance, certain skill types will be either tab or action oriented skills.
- As an example: Let's say you're playing a ranged class. You could have an action-oriented power shot in your skill tree or you could have a single target power shot that ramps up and does more damage. – Steven Sharif
- A toggle button (default Z, but can be re-bound to another key) allows the player to switch between action and tab targeted combat modes.
- The action mode utilizes a targeting reticle and is very close to a third-person action game.
- The player does not have to be in reticle mode to use an action combat ability.
- If you use an action combat ability that's going to be directional focused, you do not have to be in reticle mode to use that. It will fire where that reticle would be. So if you play by feel and you're in tab target camera mode, you can still utilize your action-oriented skills and abilities. – Steven Sharif
- The reticle will highlight/change color (to red) to indicate if the current target is able to be hit with the currently prepared skill.
- Action combat abilities will not have a lock-on feature but pressing Q while in action mode will lock on to the current target to enable the use of tab-oriented skills in action mode.
- Action combat abilities will not have a lock-on feature so to speak. Some of those are going to be skill shot only. However because you can have a mix and match of tab abilities that require a target, you will be able to target lock in action mode as well. Right now that's delegated to the Q key as default, but you can obviously set that up you could put it on your left mouse button, or you could put it wherever you want; and when your reticle hovers over a target, it rapidly swaps your target ability and when you press your target lock it will then lock that target; and if you have tab-oriented skills, you can use your tab oriented skills and they will be used against that target. – Steven Sharif
- The tab mode (MMO mode) facilitates tab targeted combat. A tab-targeted ability requires a target in order to utilize that skill.
- There may be a single unified hitbox with some exceptions or some special collision rules as opposed to having different sized hitboxes.
More than likely we'll have some sort of unified or unified-ish hitbox. But again it's going to probably have a unified hitbox with some exceptions or some special sort of collision rules based on them as opposed to just making it smaller for one and not the other. – Jeffrey Bard
We don't have separate types of hitbox categories, for example. There's no head hit box in the MMORPG like there was in APOC. So from a critical standpoint you're not going to see a greater risk of critting for a larger hitbox. – Steven Sharif
- البث المباشر, 2020-08-28 (1:19:24).
- البث المباشر, 2023-01-27 (1:06:02).
- البث المباشر, 2022-06-30 (51:17).
- البث المباشر, 2020-01-30 (1:34:12).
- البث المباشر, 2021-11-19 (50:38).
- البث المباشر, 2020-06-26 (1:24:06).
- البث المباشر, 2022-12-02 (1:05:08).
- البث المباشر, 2021-02-26 (27:41).
- فيديو, 2021-02-26 (6:17).
- البث المباشر, 2023-07-28 (1:02:23).
- البث المباشر, 2022-06-30 (46:30).
- البث المباشر, 2021-07-30 (31:22).
- مقابلة, 2021-06-13 (4:12).
- البث المباشر, 2021-05-28 (1:13:05).
- البث المباشر, 2022-12-02 (59:47).
- البث المباشر, 2020-04-30 (1:17:13).
- البث المباشر, 2017-05-08 (43:30).
- البث المباشر, 2021-12-23 (55:32).
- فيديو, 2021-12-23 (23:53).
- البث المباشر, 2022-10-14 (48:45).
- البث المباشر, 2020-06-26 (1:30:40).
- البث المباشر, 2022-06-30 (49:42).
- البث المباشر, 2022-09-30 (51:28).
- فيديو, 2022-09-30 (15:28).
- فيديو, 2023-04-28 (4:40).
- فيديو, 2023-07-28 (24:03).
- فيديو, 2023-07-28 (24:16).
- فيديو, 2017-05-25 (0:02).
- البث المباشر, 2021-07-30 (1:11:29).
- Reddit - Developer response to unique ability visuals.
- البث المباشر, 2018-05-04 (51:57).
- البث المباشر, 2017-12-15 (1:35:38).
- البث المباشر, 2023-05-31 (1:10:08).
- فيديو, 2021-12-23 (7:05).
- مقابلة, 2020-03-27 (15:20).
- البث المباشر, 2023-10-31 (1:30:52).
- فيديو, 2022-06-30 (20:29).
- فيديو, 2022-06-30 (21:19).
- البث المباشر, 2022-06-30 (53:33).
- البث المباشر, 2020-12-22 (1:12:56).
- البث المباشر, 2019-11-22 (1:09:37).
- البث المباشر, 2017-05-17 (1:05:11).
- فيديو, 2023-01-27 (35:51).
- فيديو, 2022-12-02 (34:41).
- فيديو, 2022-12-02 (16:55).
- البث المباشر, 2023-09-29 (1:12:16).
- فيديو, 2023-01-27 (40:24).
- البث المباشر, 2023-01-27 (15:22).
- البث المباشر, 2023-01-27 (1:13:29).
- البث المباشر, 2021-09-24 (1:22:46).
- البث المباشر, 2020-06-26 (1:19:50).
- البث المباشر, 2021-05-28 (1:14:50).
- مقابلة, 2021-02-07 (49:18).
- البث المباشر, 2022-07-29 (1:05:20).
- فيديو, 2023-07-28 (10:18).
- البث المباشر, 2022-05-27 (1:11:41).
- البث المباشر, 2022-05-27 (1:16:17).
- فيديو, 2022-09-30 (17:03).
- البث المباشر, 2023-04-28 (53:58).
- فيديو, 2023-05-31 (11:20).
- البث المباشر, 2023-04-07 (49:45).
- البث المباشر, 2021-08-27 (1:16:04).
- البث المباشر, 2021-06-25 (22:34).
- البث المباشر, 2017-11-16 (30:45).
- البث المباشر, 2021-06-25 (27:43).
- البث المباشر, 2020-08-28 (1:15:39).
- البث المباشر, 2020-04-30 (1:09:51).
- فيديو, 2022-09-30 (17:00).
- البث المباشر, 2021-03-26 (59:21).
- البث المباشر, 2021-06-25 (26:11).
- البث المباشر, 2022-09-30 (49:16).
- البث المباشر, 2022-09-30 (52:33).
- البث المباشر, 2022-09-30 (48:10).
- البث المباشر, 2023-08-31 (2:22:01).
- البث المباشر, 2022-09-30 (41:06).
- البث المباشر, 2018-04-8 (PM) (37:57).
- ﻲﺗﻮﺻ ﻦﻳﻭﺪﺗ, 2018-08-04 (1:07:59).
- البث المباشر, 2023-01-27 (1:11:07).
- البث المباشر, 2020-08-28 (1:12:50).
- ﻲﺗﻮﺻ ﻦﻳﻭﺪﺗ, 2018-08-04 (1:11:05).
- مقابلة, 2019-04-15 (38:03).
- البث المباشر, 2021-06-25 (27:10).
- البث المباشر, 2020-04-30 (40:19).
- البث المباشر, 2020-10-30 (1:15:59).
- البث المباشر, 2021-03-26 (1:11:25).